Last updated: 10th October, 2022
1) What is GoSquared Contacts?
Your visitors, users, and customers. Every action, every pageview, and every attribute. All together in one place. Available to query and search instantly. That’s GoSquared Contacts.
View a video introduction below:
2) Can I view anonymous visitors in the Contacts section
You can use Contacts to see what users did before they signed up. This is hugely powerful for understanding the full journey people make before deciding to sign up for your service. GoSquared stores the sessions of all anonymous visitors for one month. If an anonymous visitor eventually registers for your site/service or starts a conversation, they will be 'identified' and a new profile will be created for them. All of their previous session history will be merged together into their new profile.
3) How do I install Contacts?
Follow the install guide here.
🛠️ For full technical documentation you can view the docs here.
4) What is a profile?
Any contact or lead you add to GoSquared shows as a profile in Customer Data Hub. If you’re using Inbox, then a profile is also created when a new visitor first starts a conversation with you – read a full explanation here.
5) How do I segment my users?
Smart Groups are designed for filtering and segmenting your users. A Smart Group is a set of filters that you can save. Because GoSquared tracks data in real-time, your segments also update in real-time as new users match the filter and existing users un-match them – read the full guide.
6) Can I track custom data, attributes, fields, and properties, about my users?
GoSquared allows you to track and store custom 'properties' about your users. You can track different types of properties such as numbers, text (including links), date/timestamps, or booleans (something that is either true or false) – read the full guide.
7) Can I try Contacts before I buy?
Yes of course! Every new GoSquared account starts on the GoSquared Free Trial. If you’re already a GoSquared customer, get in touch to ask about making use of this feature. Contacts requires additional setup to get the best use from it – so ensure that you have a way to identify visitors to your site in place already, such as a user log in system.
8) How do I search for someone?
Use the search bar to instantly search for users or groups of users. GoSquared will search all of the custom properties you've tracked on the user, along with a number of special properties such as name, description, email, organisation details, social profiles, homepage URL.
9) How can I filter to find a group of people?
Use the add a filter button to filter your users by properties or events they have triggered. You can add multiple filters to keep refining a group of users.
10) Can I see a count of users?
A count of users in any search query, filter or Smart Group is always visible on the top right. For very large numbers of users, this number will be slightly approximated.
11) How can I export a list of users?
To export a group of users as a
csv, hit export on the top right. You can export all the properties and events of each user or choose to export only currently visible columns.
12) How do I set up Notifications/Triggers?
Triggers notify you as soon as users enter or exit your Smart Groups by posting a message to your Slack channel. Triggers can also be used in Zapier or to send a webhook to a custom URL.
To set up Triggers, you first add an integration, which tells GoSquared where you want the webhook to be delivered.
- Navigate to the Integrations tab in Settings > Current Project > Integrations.
- Select the type of integration you wish to set up.
- Follow the instructions for setting up the integration.
- Save the new integration. It will be added to the list of integration for use with Triggers.
👉 For more information regarding setting up specific Integrations, take a look at our guide here
Next, choose when your Trigger will fire: when the user enters or exits a Smart Group. Choose which Smart Group will be monitored, then choose which integrations will receive a webhook when the Trigger fires:
- Navigate to the Notifications pane in Site Settings and select "Add a new notification".
- Choose what will trigger the notification: whether it's when a user enters the Smart Group, or exits.
- Choose which Smart Group to monitor.
- Choose which integrations will receive the notification
- Save the notification by clicking "Add". GoSquared will now send notifications to your integrations whenever a user enters or exits the Smart Group, depending on which trigger you selected.
13) How do events work in GoSquared Contacts?
Events are any action your user takes on a webpage or in an app. You track events with frontend tracking or via a backend integration. In Contacts, you can query events by the first or last times they occurred, or by count.