Last updated: 16th November, 2020
Part 1: How to use URL Filtering
URL Filtering is an easy, yet hugely powerful way to find contacts based on the pages they’ve recently viewed on your website.
To use URL Filtering you’ll need the following:
- Ensure you’re identifying your website visitors when they sign in to use your product or service.
- Be on a plan that gives you access to Customer Data Hub.
To find contacts based on when they recently visited a specific page:
- Head to Customer Data Hub.
- Navigate to an existing Smart Group, or just head to the “Everyone” group.
- Choose “Add a Filter”.
- In the Filter panel, choose the “Pages” tab.
- You can find people by whether they viewed a specific URL, or a URL containing anything you choose. For this, we’ll choose “Viewed URL containing…”
- In the text field that appears, enter a term in the URL of a page you care about – for example “/plans” would show you everyone who has visited the page at “https://www.example.com/plans”
- Choose the time frame over which people have visited this URL – for example, “within last 30 days”.
- You can optionally add further filters to further refine your audience.
- Save your filters as a Smart Group, or export your list of contacts to use in another application.
We recently increased open rates from 40% to 70% for one of our key emails.
It was all thanks to URL filtering.
We started sending the message immediately after people had visited the pricing page on our site.
By sending at the ideal time, the message became dramatically more relevant to everyone who received it, so more people opened it, and ultimately acted on it.
With zero additional setup required, find contacts based on a whole new dimension – the URLs of the pages they’ve recently visited.
This opens up a huge array of possibilities – for example, you could send a message to:
- People who recently visited your pricing page but didn’t convert – and establish if they have any concerns.
- People who checked out a product on your website but didn’t return to purchase – to drive them back to the checkout.
- People who read a blog post more than 30 days ago to drive them back to your most recent content.
How to use URL Filtering & Automation to re-engage cold leads & book demos
🔍 Want to learn more about using UTM Links and Event Tracking to optimise your Marketing campaigns? Check out our Video Tutorials below: